Sunday, April 29, 2007

Getting Ready

From Sunday May 6 through Friday May 25, I will be joining 16 other city planners on a journey across China. The trip has been organized by the Northern California Section of the American Planning Association, the professional organization that represents 36,000 U.S. city planners. We will travel to Hong Kong, Macao, Yangshuo/Guilin, Shanghai, Suzhow, Nanjing, Xi’An, and Beijing, meeting with local planners in each city. The purpose of our trip is to learn more about city planning in China and see first-hand the changes that are reshaping the Chinese landscape.

I thought I would keep a “blog” that chronicles my travels. After all, we'll be traveling 3,000 miles in 17 days (by air, bus, and train) and I'm sure there will be stories to tell. I don’t know how accessible the internet will be, but I’m told there are internet cafes in every city we’re visiting so I can upload text and photos.

I’m very excited about this trip, as it has been a lifetime dream to visit China. Check back in a few days for an update from Stop 1, Hong Kong!

No comments: